Monday, October 15, 2012

Resurrecting He-Man

Last month I was a guest at the annual PowerCon ThunderCon in Los Angeles which is a convention for fans of the He-Man and She-Ra TV series franchises going back to the 1980s as well as the Thundercats. I was surprised by the continuing popularity of He-Man and She-Ra. The animated "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" series was my first official gig in the business. I was one of the three artists who developed it going all the way back to 1982. Of the three original artists I'm the only one still alive. 

One of the things that struck me at the PowerCon was the volume of fan art that was being created for He-Man and the spinoff series "She-Ra Princess of Power" which I played a major role in developing as well. I saw art being sold by artists of characters I designed and it really got me thinking. It's been years and years since I drew He-Man. I don't think I've drawn him since I worked on the second season of the series in 1984. So I thought I'd try it this evening in class. This is the result. It's my first attempt at He-Man in more than 28 years. He may not be exactly on model but that's okay. I'll be drawing more of him in the future. The more I practice the better I'll get. I'll also be featuring original art I created for the series that's never been published before.


2 comments:

Evelar said...

Thanks a LOT for posting your art, Sr. It's unique.

Charles Z said...

Glad you like it Emerson.